Friday, March 09, 2007

(Higher) Frequency

Yesterday I was in Cologne, checking out places to stay. I know that it is a bit late in the game to look for an apartment less than a week before I am about to start work, but since the housing market in Germany is liquid and functioning (as opposed to other places I know) this actually works fine.

Most students and interns share apartments (called Wohngemeinschaft, or simply WG). Renting a room is then a process in which I must convince the owner of the room that I am responsible enough to return it in good condition, but also convincing the other flat-mates that I am fun enough to hang with.

After having checked-out my latest WG, I took a short walk over to the AIESEC-Köln Stammtisch (i.e. the weekly get-together-over-beers). I am always amazed how AIESEC enables young people to quickly find friends in pretty much every corner of the world. The risk of me being lonely or not speaking enough German can now safely be said to be zero.

The main event however was who I ran into at this Stammtisch. In 2004 I did an internship in Nigeria, and a Mexican girl who interned after me (but whom I so far had only seen in pictures) was at this Stammtisch! Wow! A person who has almost the same Nigerian experience as me, and we by chance happen to meet in Cologne. As I've written before, this tendency to run into people is unbelievable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hej hopp! Pappa och jag åker till farmor idag. I förrgår fick jag min mobilladdare skickad på posten till mig i ett helt anonymt paket. Endast 2 TRP. K-gatan etc. Jag slarvade bort den för typ 1,5 år sedan och jag förstår ingenting!
Kul att du har det bra.
Kram kram!
Ebba

Carolin said...

Hey Patrik,
„die Welt ist ein Dorf“ und man hat den Eindruck, dass die AISEC Welt irgendwie noch kleiner als ein Dorf ist :-) Du hattest ja gefragt, ob ich AIESECer in Köln kenne – ich glaube nicht. Aber wer weiß, vielleicht ja doch ;-)
Ich wünsche dir auf jeden Fall erst mal viel Erfolg bei der WG-Suche! Du wirst bestimmt schnell fündig.
Ich bin nach wie vor in Hannover und komme hier auch so schnell nicht weg. Meine Diplomarbeit werde ich hoffentlich Ende diesen Jahres fertig stellen – bis dahin sitze ich hier mehr oder weniger fest.
Würdest du nach deinen Erfahrungen eigentlich sagen, dass wir uns demnächst in Hannover, Köln oder an einem anderen Ort in Deutschland einfach über den Weg laufen werden? Oder sollten wir das vielleicht doch mal ganz konventionell planen? ;-)
Viele Grüße und bis bald,
carolin