Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Time to Move

Next week I’ll move to Cologne/Köln and begin the internship phase of my stay in Germany. I have a place to stay for a while but will try to quickly find something better alternative. As I move from Düsseldorf it is not a complete good-bye. I’ll be coming back every second weekend for more German language training. One thing that I will look forward to on these trips back is the Mensa. Mensa is usually the student canteen, and this particular Mensa is the one at the Kunstakademie (Art Academy). Not only is it a steady source of wonderful Germany words (e.g. Kartoffelernteergebnisse, meaning potatoharvestyield) it also offers the best value in terms of food I’ve seen in any OECD country*. For about 1,5€ you can fill you stomach. Wonderful.

Moving also means saying goodbye to my “family”. They were nice and helpful but clearly had some internal issues. From what I understood the Dad in the family went to Dresden, on the other side of Germany, and tried to get a job there for a week. In the mean-time the Daughter (who I had the most contact with) moved to her paternal grand-parents in Duisburg, about 30 minutes away from Düsseldorf. And the mother rented out her room. Now the Dad is back in town, BUT does not stay in the apartment. In some sense I am glad to now be moving on. Hope they patch things up soon though.

*Nothing beats India when it comes to value for money at restaurants

No comments: