Friday, March 23, 2007

Frei Tag

Fridays are (almost) free days. Today I'll be part of a study trip to Europe's largest Steel Plant which claims that it's
approximately 3250 employees produced 5.47 millions tons in 2005 - about 12% of the crude steel manufactured in Germany.
Could be very interesting. We have been instructed to wear clothes completely covering our bodies, so my expectations of something exciting happening are high. If I don't get to see some boiling/flowing iron, I would be most disappointed. ;-)

Compare this with last week's Friday, when I was visiting the Picasso exhibition in Düsseldorf.This self-portrait (made only a year or so before his death, at the remarkable age of 91) caught my eye, but other than I only really like one more painting (and for some mysterious reason it can not be found online and shared)

Much better were the paintings in the permanent exhibition. Who cannot like Dalí or fall for these two Magritte paintingsThis (La Modèle rouge) is actually one of my favourite paintings, and I did not know it was here in Düsseldorf.

This picture (Le Plaisir) prompted all kinds of thoughts: is this human destruction of nature, or perhaps a comment on that even sweet things have a dark side?

No comments: